FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Read through our FAQ to learn more.
1. How many driving lessons will I need?
Driving is a skill that everyone learns at a different rate. Your instructor will monitor your progress at the end of each lesson and will be able to assess how near test standards you are. We recommend at least one session of 1.5 or 2 hours per week (subject to availability).
2. Can a friend or relative teach me how to drive, rather than an approved driving instructor?
The Driving Standards Agency (www.dsa.gov.uk) strongly recommends that you take lessons from an Approved Driving Instructor (ADI). If your friend or relative teaches you, they must be over 21 years of age and have held a full British driving licence for at least three years.
3. Do I need to pass the Theory Test before I can start my driving lessons?
No. However, some people think that it’s a good idea to learn the theory at the same time as the practical, since it can bring the subject alive, make it easier to understand and simpler to remember. You must pass Theory Test, though, before you are allowed to apply for your Practical test.
4. Will my instructor always be the same?
Yes – unless you decide you would like to change, or the instructor is absent due to ill health or other unavoidable reason.
5. Will my driving lesson be on a one-to-one basis?
Yes. All our lesson are on a one-to-one basis, and there will never be another learner present in the tuition vehicle.
6. Can I choose where to be picked up and dropped off before and after my lesson?
Yes – as long as you give your instructor sufficient notice and it’s practical for them to do so.
7. I am a full licence holder but I have not driven for a number of years. Can I take a refresher course?
Yes. Under these circumstances, we recommend approx 5 to 10 hours of tuition, with at least 2 hours spent on the motorway, if required.
8. I’m an international licence holder. Can I drive on UK roads?
You can, but only for a limited period. Go to the DVLA website (www.dvla.gov.uk), where all your questions can be answered.
11. Will I have to drive different cars for different Drive Eco lessons?
No. We only use BMW Minis making us very different from the majority of other driving schools!
12. Do you provide lessons for Extended Tests?
Yes. If you’ve been disqualified from driving, the courts can order that you become a Learner driver again, before taking an Extended Test. Please be aware that this test is longer and much more demanding than the standard driving test, lasting for 70 minutes and including dual carriageways.
13. What areas do you cover?
We’ve set up a page here to show you all of the areas we cover.